Another reason I lost interest in it last year was that I lost all desire and motivation to scrap. I was part of a competition online and what should have been fun and light-hearted got a bit nasty with accusations of some of the contestants cheating, multiple accounts being started etc etc. Then an online blog was started for people to post their thoughts and criticisms. I think it was intended for people to express disappointment, problems etc with certain products but unfortunately it ended up becoming really nasty and very personal attacks on some of the who's who in Australian scrapping. I'm not sure why I let it all get to me. i should have ignored the lot and just kept on merrily scrapping but I think I got caught up in the buzz of wanting other people to appreciate and love my work, to view it as up to the standard of others etc etc. So so silly! I am not someone who worries about others opinions normally (unless I have personally done something to make someone unhappy etc) but I stupidly let it all effect me and my scrapping. I lost sight of the fact that I scrap for me, for my kids to have details and stories about their childhood and family and it only has to be good enough for me, no-one else. So it took me taking a step back and not really scrapping to get back to the place of loving it again! AND I DO LOVE IT!!!
I joined a competition called Reality Scraps on Scrapbook City which is based around all of the reality shows. it has been sooooo clever, I think they have thought of everything! There are Friday Night games (ala Big Brother), immunity can be won, we vote and those with the lowest tally per week get moved to the Others. I purchased a Survival Kit at the start of the comp and each week we've been set challenges...and some of them have definitely been challenges. Had to do a layout at the start to qualify. The layout had to include our name somewhere on the layout and be about why we wanted to join Reality Scraps comp. After last year (as I explained above) I am in this for fun. The prize is a position on the Scrapbook City Design Team which I would love but I am mainly in this to have a little fun and get at least a layout done a week so my Qualifying Challenge layout was called "Fun". I was at Tammie's doing this layout and put the pic down to work out sizes etc. planning to get another pic prionted for this layout then Tammie took one look at this picture and said "that is so you!" And she was right, I look like an idiot but I was laughing and having fun and that is me!
QUALIFYING CHALLENGE: "Fun"
Made it through the qualfying round and got partnered up with Michelle Jamieson (Chelle)..woohoo!!!
Week 1 Challenge was to scrap our passion. OMG WHAT??? Kinda scary really as I don't think I really have anything in particular that is my passion. I mean I have lots of things that I am passionate about but I had no idea what to do for this. We were encouraged to use the 3 Bugs papers in our Survivial Kit and we had to have an embellishment cluster of at least 3 items (mine is the clip, the HS hearts, the HS file tab and ribbon) I think it might have had to have had handwriting on it too?? Not sure will get back to you on that one LOLI wanted to do a layout that will mean something to me in years to come, not something that I or my family would look at in 10 years time and think why did she scrap that?!? So I decided to take this layout from a slightly different angle and used a pic of Stephen and I taken by our wedding photographer for our engagement portrait. I journalled about the changes that have occurred since then higlighting the fact that our passion for each other and love is still as strong now as it was back then!
WEEK 1: CHANGES
Week 2 Challenge was a Road Block. "A road block is where both players complete the task and receive personal points, but only one of them uses their entry to compete with the other players. You must nominate this person before the challenge is announced."
So I got names from a hat and placed them against numbers 1-10 and asked Chelle to pick a number and I was up for this week. I prayed that it wouldn't be that horrible MM Cheeky floral paper that I would have to use. Ewww! And then later that day up came the challenge:
"Challenge by DT member Pauline.
MAKING MEMORIES
The Reality Scrap Survival Kit contains two Making Memories Cheeky range papers and 8" chipboard piece/s. These are preferable for this challenge.Use Patterned Paper ONLY! (Wow, I know this is exciting isn't it - LOL)You can use cardstock as a basis to start your LO, but it must be completely covered with PP.You must use at least TWO different PP's but from there you can use as much or as little as you like.The layout must include at least ONE chipboard feature/accent. Your journaling MUST be on your chipboard accent.Chipboard used does not HAVE to be covered with patterned paper, including titles."
OMG Are you kidding me...the one lot of paper that makes me shudder and not only do I have to use it, I'm the only one getting voted for AND I have to have a whole page of MM Cheeky PP (preferably!) Anyway, I played around with this for sooo long, I even went and bought extra pp from that range...the pressure was terrible! In the end I absolutely LOVE this layout! The photo does not do it justice (if I can say so LOL!) as it is so shiny and pretty in real life. Photo is of Sarah's divine curls and the journalling on the brackets is in rubons and says: "All of our babies have had curls will you get to keep yours"
WEEK 2 : CURLS
Thankfully I didn't get Chelle and I booted out this week and the week 3 challenge was announced:
"The challenge this week is supplied by Katie.BACK TO BASICS WITH BAZZILL!
Create a LO using at least 3 different sheets of Bazzill, at least one of these must be a Bazzill Bling or Fancy edge. One of each is included in the Survival Kit. If you do not have either, you may create your own 'fancy' edge using Bazzill.The other two Bazzill may be different textures or different colours.The LO must contain at least one photo, journalling, a hand cut title, and a handmade embellishment.There is to be no pp used nor other embellishments.You must use Bazzill as the basis for your handmade embellishment and you may use rub-ons/stickers, paint or ink on it as well (incl stamping).You may also use brads, stitching or staples to secure your items to the page, and of course you may use a pen for doodling and journalling."
When I first started scrapping, I desperately wanted a Shape Boss...put it off for ages and then finally bought myself one. Well it proudly sits down the side of my desk and had been used exactly once up until this point. My darling (grrr!) sewing machine isn't working (and I am NOT touching it, would probably sew my fingers to it or something stoopid!! LOL!) so I was trying to think of a way to make it interesting and the Shape Boss sprung to mind. I adore this photo of Emily and have wanted to scrap it for ages. I love how Steve's hand is on her head and she is having a nice quiet moment with Daddy. Awesome photo taken by Tammie. The red dot paper is plain red cardsotck with white pen dots. My embellishment is very simple with a red gem brad. The Bazzill Bling is soooo pretty to work with but sadly does not photograph well so here is a really bad pic of my layout for week 3.
WEEK 3 - A MOMENT
Woohoo...Chelle and I are through again! Well I won Friday Night Games so we went through automatically LOL! Also got a gorgeous prize for winning, Scrapworks glittery chipboard flowers. They are divine. Can't even thank anyone on the forum as it has been down but they made my day! They are so pretty!
So week 4... This week should have been titled "Get so far out of your comfort zone, you are almost in another country"...FREESTYLE...Hmmm....I even posted a post on Scrapboxx asking for some advice on what freestyle is exaclty! Aparently it is breaking the rules. Your rules, scrapping with reckless abandon...hmmm yep this little Virgo is competely comfortable with that...NOT!!!!!!!!
This week was a Detour: "A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons" says Phil Keoghan. In Reality Scrap, when you see this sign you will be given a choice of two tasks. One is a difficult challenge that will take additional time and effort to complete well. The second is an easy task that will be quick to complete however only a maximum of 7 points will be available instead of the usual 10.
Week 4 Challenge - Sara (DETOUR)
PINK MARTINI
The Reality Scrap Survival Kit contains two Pink Martini papers. These are the preferred papers for this challenge.Requirements: ABC-123 (Challenge inspired by Nancy Kupec, USA)EASY OPTION
The following are your required inclusions. You may also add other items to the layout, but are restricted to the clauses below (meaning that if it says two patterned papers, you may only use two patterned papers, for example).
* A - Adults, topic of layout must be concerning adults - siblings, parents, friends, etc (NOT children, animals, etc)
* B - Bling, use some bling on your layout - gems, rhinestones, glitter, etc (unlimited amount, it just has to be there)
* C - Chipboard, use THREE (3) pieces only
* 1 - ONE Photo, any size
* 2 - TWO Patterned papers, preferably from the Pink Martini Range.
* 3 - THREE x 6" lengths of ribbon (hint: they do not have to remain in three lengths, you may cut them, but ALL pieces have to be on the layout; they do not have to be from the kit)
DIFFICULT OPTION
* ABC-123 as above PLUS...
* Go "Freestyle" - Make it artsy, lots of doodling and interesting journaling style.
* Add some random machine stitching.
* Finally, NO paper or photograph can be 'square on' on the page. 'Square on' meaning parallel to the edges of the layout.
I used the Bazzill Bling again for this round...I love the stuff and it really suited this photo. Yes we were just a little intoxicated when this photo was taken ...don't you love how even when Elle is trying to pull a funny face she still looks stunning! So this is it...as freesyle as I get. I cut haphazzardly around the flowers, cut the journalling bits haphazardly, let it fall wherever, bit of doodling (hard to see in the pic), gems, random hand stitiching as sewing machine isn't healthy (only a little bit though, if Steve sees me stitching he'll make me sew buttons onto all of his pants that have buttons missing, so none of that thanks very much!!) Anyway, here it is. Looks better irl as the doodling can be seen better and the bling adds something to the layout.
WEEK 4 : NINETEEN YEARS
And now we are up to week 5. It is another road block and this time it is Michelle's turn to play (so only her layout will be voted on, pressure is off me, phew!). Her layout is lovely too...Using BG Blush pp. and very pretty. I've still to do mine...its planned it though which is further than I have been at this stage each week. PMSL! I had an 11.59pm upload one week...due time 11.59pm! Talk about cutting it fine! Phew!
Anyway, thought I'd also add some other layouts that I have done since I last update:
You Colour His World...Steve and Emily, we went in to New Farm Park for a picnic with Steve's mum and Steve came and suprised us! Van you tell who was very happy to see Daddy!!!
Random Challenge by Sares on Embellished, sketch provided and insturctions were to use bright coloured paper
Four... Layout about Emily and different likes and sayings etc
Perfectly You.... Christmas photo shoot 2005. This photo sums our kids up completely -
Matthew is trying to do the right thing and get the girls to behave, Emily is being funny and playing silly, entertaining Sarah and Sarah is into everything, finding out how it all works!
Slow Down... Layout about Sarah and how she is my last baby and it is all passing so quickly and how I want her to slow down!
Christmas: Online Class with Alicia Barry on Scrapbook City. I am hopeless with classes they never look like the example and this was no exception. I couldn't get the paper used so used other BG ones but still happy with how it turned out and it was my first online class..will have to do another some time!
Close up of the title.
What a post hey!!! I really should keep this updated better. I am back to uni now too which is going great so far. I should keep this blog updated so I can read back through it in 2-3 years when uni is finished and remind myself of what happened in that blur!
Better go get the layout for Week 5 done.
Stay Happy!
Trish
No comments:
Post a Comment